Thursday, February 12, 2009

I'm like that girl in Juno who gives everyone the stink-eye



I'm so tired of my house smelling like soup. I like to make my own broth -- less waste, cheaper and it tastes better. It's not difficult, but it takes time. Luckily some genius invented crock pots, so there's not much to do except strain the broth at the end. Unfortunately, after cooking 3 batches for 16 hours each, I don't know if the soup smell will ever go away!

A few months ago, I bought a bag of chicken quarters then decided not to cook them, so I dumped 'em in the freezer. Sadly, I forgot that unless you freeze fresh meat in individual pieces, it freezes in a giant lump and is impossible to chisel apart (I tried). So I had to thaw the whole bag, which meant I had to cook it all. I don't think I'll ever need 8 pounds of chicken at once, so on to chicken stock.

Half the bag of chicken -- about 4 pieces, skin, bones and all went into the crockpot with celery, carrots, peppercorns and salt. It cooked on high for an hour (or until I thought, "Oh, crap! I forgot about the stock!" 3 hours later), then on low overnight.

Sixteen hours or so later, I had rich, dark chicken stock.



After straining the solids, I put the stock in the refrigerator so I could skim the fat off the top, then poured it into different containers for freezing. My favorite are the heart-shaped ice cubes I use for sautes.



The chicken got chopped and frozen in broth so later I just have to thaw it and add carrots and noodles for chicken soup.

2 comments:

  1. you and david have the same hobbies. he likes to make stock but usually just from chicken carcass etc. xxxx

    i miss you a lot

    but am glad you're blogging again

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice pictures! I like the last one best, and can only wonder how you managed to juggle the camera & pour at the same time.

    Makes me want to buy a crock pot; but for now, I have no place to put it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails