Thursday, February 19, 2009

Toys! *pattern update*



When I started crocheting and knitting, I asked my husband if there was anything he wanted me to make for him. His request? A frog puppet. I had a terrible time finding a free pattern anywhere for a puppet I liked, so one night I sat down, chained 29 and started working. I hate finishing -- seams, making up, all that stuff -- so I really tried to not have to do any of that. The result wasn't bad. A bit lumpy and bumpy, but he loves the puppet.



I also made some finger puppets from Knitty for my boss's birthday (she's a former-children's librarian-turned-library-director and still does some storytimes and a puppeteering workshop).



Here's the frog puppet pattern. I have been knitting instead of crocheting for a while, so I'm a little rusty. Also, it's my first pattern, and I wrote it down after making the puppet instead of while making it, so if anything's confusing, please comment and I'll try to clarify! I'm also planning to draw a diagram and post it later this week, along with a cute picture of the knitted elephant toy I just made.

Frog puppet *updated pattern - now includes pictures of technique*
materials: 1 skein Lion Brand Jiffy in Apple Green (135 yd bulky)
J10 or K10.5 crochet hook (6-6.5mm)

ch 29. sl st to join as ring.
rounds 1-10: use the totally awesome futuregirl’s seamless crochet technique to sc 29 around. sl 1, ch 1, turn. this forms the neck.
row 11: skip sl st from previous row, sc 15. ch 1, turn.
12-16: sc 15, ch1, turn.
row 17-20: sc across, decreasing by 1 sc at center of each row, ch 1, turn at end
row 21-26: 11sc, ch 1, turn
row 27-33: decrease by 1 sc at center of each row, ch 1, turn at end (end with 3 sc)
row 34: sc2tog, sc (2 sc). this forms the top of the upper jaw.
row 35: turn work over. ch1, then sc 2.
row 36: ch 1, then slip stitch into the side of the triangular piece you just did, then sc a row, then slip at the end of the row to form a pocket.



in other words, ch 1, sl st into the edge space of row 35, 2sc, sl st into the next edge space (shown with red paperclip).



row 37: ch 1, sl st into next edge space (shown with blue paperclip), 3sc, sl st into next edge space down. this will make it seem like you're skipping rows, but it makes the puppet fit better.



row 38-57: continue in this manner, increasing 1 by sc in the sl st of the previous row. this forms the bottom of the upper jaw (roof of the mouth).

row 58: 23 sc, ch 1, turn. you are not connecting this piece to the sides using the sl st technique.
row 59: 22 sc (sc2tog in center), ch 1, turn.
continue in this manner, decreasing 1 in the center until you have 2 sc left. this forms the top of the lower jaw (inside mouth, where tongue will be).
turn work.
row 80: 2 sc.
turn work over. ch1, then sc 2.
row 81: ch 1, sl st, sc 3, sl st.
row 82: repeat as in rows 38-57 until you reach the joint between the upper and lower parts of the jaw. your stitch count for the last row should be 14, and you should have about 1.5-2 inches left to do before you get to the top of the neck (the in-the-round cuff of 10 rows worked at the very beginning).
work the next 15 rows with no increase as follows: ch 1, sl st, sc 14 (skipping the sl st from the previous row), sl st until you reach the top of the neck. this forms the bottom of the lower jaw.
fasten off.

to finish: sew the lower jaw to the top of the neck.

tongue: ch5. work 11 rows sc.
row 12: sc 2 tog, sc, sc 2 tog (3 sc). fasten off. attach to puppet.

for eyes: using magic ring method, 10sc into ring, sl st to join and pull ring closed.
round 2: ch 1, 10sc, sl st.
round 3: ch 1, sc twice in each stitch (20)
round 4: ch 1, sc twice, sc (30)
round 5-6: sc 30
stuff each eye with yarn or fiberfill. use black yarn to stitch the irises on the eyeballs. attach to puppet.

14 comments:

  1. wow that looks awesome. i, um, don't know what anything on the end of that means but the puppet looks amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally looks like kermit...love it :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks! it's a lot of fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice Frog. It is the best frog I ever saw.
    I think I will try to do it.

    But first I have to translate ...

    Pfiffigste

    ReplyDelete
  5. pfiffigste -- thanks! let me know if you translate it, and if you have any suggestions on making it easier/work better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new to crocheting, but I'm doing pretty good with it. Although I'm getting stuck at row 36. Mine does not fold down as your's does in the picture. Help...

    mrsbfrito

    ReplyDelete
  7. mrsbfrito -- when you get to row 35, you'll be crocheting into the back of the piece. up through row 34 you're crocheting into one face of the piece, so when you turn it around for row 35, you're now poking the hook into the other face (the back). you won't see the pocket form until row 37 or 38, but it will form one as you go.

    does this make any sense at all?? let me know.

    if not, i'll see if i can make a video to explain (but it might be a little while)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Meghan,

    Thanks for this - I too dislike joining different pieces so this is the best looking puppet pattern I've found so far!

    I too am having trouble with row 35/36. I think I'm not sure where the 2sc in row 35 go - therefore I'm not making a triangle.

    A video (or something) would be great!

    Thanks again,
    Demolition Flower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, ok - I'm fine with the sc in row 35, but it's 36-37 (and therefore onwards) that I'm stuck with.

      Sorry about that, any help would be appreciated!
      DF

      Delete
  9. Love this! I linked to this page on my blog this morning: http://www.mooglyblog.com/2012/08/06/muppets-from-yarn-knitting-crochet-patterns/ if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I came across this pattern just love it! I am the editor of AllFreeCrochet.com and would love to feature your tutorial on my site with full credit to you. I know my readers would love it as well, and in return would generate some nice traffic to your site. If you agree and would like us to feature your project, our readers will simply click the link to your blog to get your full tutorial. It's really that simple. Please let me know if this would be ok. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Jenny
    Jbenoit@primecp.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this puppet! I am completely confused on row 36. I don't understand where the sc goes. Did you ever make a video tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, man. It's been so long since I did this! I didn't ever do a video tutorial, but let's see if I can remember. I am pretty sure I just fudged it and stuck the sc in the edge wherever it'd fit in order to start crocheting a pocket. I think, looking at the prototype, I stuck it on the back side of the first triangle (the top of the puppet's head), between two crochet rows. The top and bottom of the puppet's head don't end up matching up row for row that way, but rather row for space-between-rows. Sorry -- it's so hard to explain without pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and another thing you could do is just bind off at row 34, then start a new piece at row 35, then seam the two pieces together.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails