Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Antique women's magazine

My grandmother had a couple of bound volumes of Godey's Lady's Book, a 19th-century women's magazine, and when I was at my parents' house this weekend I brought one home. It contains the monthly issues for the first half of 1862, and among the helpful hints for raising children and sentimental serials are fascinating articles on pin manufacture, recipes and patterns. From time to time I'll test some of these recipes and patterns and post the results here. I'm especially excited about a knitting pattern for mittens, a crochet needlebook pattern, a hilarious pattern for a crocheted gentleman's purse and some of the embroidery designs. The recipes will be more difficult because ingredients and cooking equipment have changed so much, but I'll try a few of those, too.

1 comment:

  1. how exciting! It seems to be Godey's was featured in some books I read as a kid. I'm thinking the Little House series.. but I can't remember for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails