Friday, March 6, 2009

Dallas quilt exhibit

A few weekends ago, my mom and I went to Dallas to see some of the quilts on display at the Crow Collection of Asian Art. The exhibit was a part of Quilt Mania II, and featured contemporary Japanese quilts. These quilts are amazing! They combine traditional American techniques with Japanese aesthetics -- most of them have nature themes and beautifully balanced images. My favorite is The Summer Sun, by Reiko Naganuma. She wove many of the textiles used in the quilt, and it's stunning.





Another favorite is this one, done all in white. I can't remember who created it, so I'm only showing a detail -- I love how cute all the little people look lined up in rows!



Another exhibit in this fabulous little museum (it's free -- did I mention that?) was one of Japanese snuff boxes. I loved these, and the designs have inspired some ideas for needlework and maybe some applique.



This exquisite little guy chasing his umbrella is my favorite. I wish there were mirrors behind the pieces so I could have seen both sides.





Sorry some of the photos are yellowish -- I didn't want to use the flash on my camera.

1 comment:

  1. That guy in the jar is the coolest thing I've ever seen...

    I want one! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails