Saturday, March 28, 2009

Roly-poly embroidery floss organizer

For years I've been stuffing my embroidery floss in a tiny little plastic makeup case from junior high (remember Caboodles?). It didn't work very well - my growing collection made it nearly impossible to close the darn thing, I had to dump it all out to find a color and the little paper cuffs with the color number kept slipping off the skeins and getting lost. My mom stores hers on cards in a 3-ring binder, but that's too bulky for me. So when my mom got a new sewing machine and was looking for a project, we got together and designed this custom floss roll based on knitting needle rolls.



I unwound the skeins, cut to 30-inch lengths, then used a D3 (3.25) crochet hook to thread through the grommet holes. I used non-permanent blue marking pen to mark the numbers.



It even has little pockets for my scissors and needles! The needle one is padded so I can use it as a pincushion, too. Thanks, Mom!

1 comment:

  1. oooh that's so clever. I haven't done cross stitch in years, but I have a friend who's really into it, and just sent a link to this to her husband, who's VERY crafty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails