Monday, March 23, 2009

What to do with all that bread?

I really like baking my own bread -- it's simple and tastes wonderful -- but most recipes make 2 loaves, and how am I supposed to eat 2 loaves of bread? I could freeze one, which is what I did this week, but last week I was left with 8 or 9 slices of going-stale bread.

There are a few times stale bread beats fresh:

French toast (use only the egg yolk for milder flavor -- thanks Cooks Illustrated)


Homemade bread crumbs (add a clove or two of garlic and the parsley leftover from the bunch you had to buy for that recipe that only calls for 4 sprigs, and you have seasoned bread crumbs)


Bread-and-butter pudding
8 slices bread
1/2 c sugar
2 cans evaporated skim milk (a great-tasting, fat-free alternative to cream or half-and-half)
2 eggs
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1 1/4 t vanilla

Preaheat the oven to 350 F. Break the bread into 3- or 4-inch chunks, and place in large bowl with sugar. Whisk together milk, egg and spices, then pour over bread and sugar mixture. Let stand for 10 minutes or so.

Pour mixture into an oven-proof dish and place the dish in a baking pan of water. This will help the pudding cook evenly. Bake for 45-60 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. YUM. you can also make bread salad (panzanella), and even bread soup, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good ideas! there's a great italian tomato and bread soup i love -- red onions, tomatoes, white beans, spinach, olive oil, garlicky bread cubes. yum.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails