Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuxedo Tuesday


Ok, it's not really a tuxedo, just a vest, but I didn't want to wait until tomorrow and post "Waistcoat Wednesday." Also, I wore it today (and finished it in the wee hours this morning), so it's a Tuesday piece.

This is the top half of an outfit I'm making from the same fabric as the jumper I posted about a while back (the bottom will just be a simple pencil skirt -- the height of librarian chic). It's McCall's 5186 and my first foray into structured clothing. I made a muslin first to get the fit just right because my measurements put me in 3 or 4 different pattern sizes. Once I got started, I didn't want to stop until I finished, so I was up until after 3 a.m. sewing it up. I do need a tailor's ham to help press it better, and this morning I sewed the buttons on a bit unevenly, so I'll need to redo that, but overall I'm quite proud of it.

Making a mockup out of muslin really helped work out some of the tricky parts, and helped me decide what changes I wanted to make. I made the back out of the same fabric as the front, rather than from the lining fabric the pattern called for, and I think it gives it a nicer look.

Perfect for Tuxedo Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. Cute! Although I am amused at the concept of waistcoat Wednesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'll make the next one for Waistcoat Wednesday, just for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails