Sunday, May 31, 2009

Simple veggie tacos


Sometimes I like the idea of certain food better than the taste of it. I've mentioned before my ambivalence-leaning-towards-antipathy for squash; I planted it because I really like the idea of squash more than the vegetable itself. I feel the same way about mushrooms. Some people go into raptures over mushrooms, learning to forage them in the wild and training their palates to recognize different varieties, choosing mushroom accompaniments the way others choose wines. I tolerate mushrooms, and they all taste the same to me -- vaguely dirty (sorry, earthy) and squeaky. I really do my best to enjoy them, and think about the health benefits and antioxidants, and isn't it so wonderful how a giant, juicy portabello can be a satisfying substitute for a hamburger when marinated in red wine and grilled over coals. So when I'm at the grocery store and see the bins of mushrooms and think about the abundance of squash in my garden, even though it's only May (sigh), I get inspired. The thought of a nice, healthy saute of mushrooms, spinach and squash served on corn tortillas with a little crumbled queso fresco excites my imagination. Unfortunately, when I get home I'm no longer so interested, and end up making microwave nachos for dinner for three nights in a row instead. By Friday, the mushrooms really must be eaten, and the squash plant is burgeoning with the little yellow things, so I dash them into the pan and make a lovely saute. These tacos really would be wonderful if I liked squash and mushrooms, and they're not bad even with my rather lukewarm feelings toward them. They're quite simple, too, and don't need much seasoning, especially if you use salsa.

Vegetable tacos

1 mature squash or 4-5 baby squashes
1 c sliced mushrooms
2 handsful torn spinach
4 corn tortillas
1 avocado, sliced
cheese of your choice
salsa, likewise

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat; add olive oil and squash and mushrooms. Saute until tender, then add spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted. Set the vegetables aside.

Wipe out the skillet. Add more oil and use to soften the tortillas. Fill the tortillas with the vegetables, avocado, cheese and salsa. A spoonful of pinto or black beans would be good, too.

1 comment:

  1. hey me too about squash. i bought a bunch and roasted it yesterday, and then i was like, "actually i don't like squash." and i bought quinoa which usually inspires similar reactions. But oh well. It's good for you eh?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails