Monday, June 15, 2009

Spicy peanut noodles


I cook a lot of pasta. It's quick and simple, and it's wide open to variations. Combined with a rich sauce in winter, it's hearty and filling; tossed with vegetables in summer, it's light and fresh. Making fresh pasta is easier than you'd think, but dried works well, too.

This recipe is one of my favorites. I usually make it with Japanese udon noodles -- I love the texture of these thick, slippery noodles -- but tonight I tossed the leftover sauce with penne and it was just as good.

In winter, when tomatoes, scallions and bell pepper are out of season, I just add edamame and a jar of roasted bell peppers. Now that it's summer, I can add fresh vegetables -- and soon, I'll be able to get them straight from my garden (if the birds would stop eating my tomatoes!).

Spicy Thai-Style Noodles
from Simple Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin
1/4 cup natural-style peanut butter, chunky or smooth
3 T tamari soy sauce
3 T tomato sauce or tomato puree
3 T dry sherry (I usually use vegetable broth)
grated zest of 1 lime
2 T (or more) lime juice
2 T brown sugar
1/2 - 1 t chili paste with garlic
2 T canola oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
Vegetables like bell pepper, scallion, tomato, snow peas
1 c shelled edamame (I usually buy a bag of frozen and steam according to package directions)
chopped peanuts

Bring stockpot of water to boil; cook noodles.
Mix all ingredients except last 4 in bowl.
Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the sauce and keep warm over low heat. Do not let the sauce simmer or boil because it will get too thick. The sauce can be prepared up to 6 hours in advance.
Combine vegetables, edamame and peanuts with sauce and noodles.

1 comment:

  1. What? The birds replaced Uma? Your tomatoes are just too tempting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails