Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Banana bread

I love bananas, but only when they're perfectly yellow, with only a tinge of green at the stem and no brown spots at all. I can't ever get through a whole bunch before they start to ripen too much, so consequently I have a freezer full of dark brown bananas. I tell myself I'll make banana bread with them, but that happens rarely. When I do make banana bread, I always use this recipe from an old cookbook of my grandmother's. It's perfectly chewy, not too sweet and has a wonderfully gooey brown crust.

Banana nut bread
from A Taste of Texas
Mrs. C.A. Johnson; Ardmore, Oklahoma


1/2 c butter or shortening
1 c sugar
1 t vanilla
3 ripe bananas
2 eggs, well-beaten
2 c sifted all-purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t soda
1 t salt
1 c chopped nut meats (optional)
3 T buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter; gradually add sugar and cream until fluffy. Add vanilla; mix.

Mash bananas*; add to creamed mixture. Gradually add eggs.

Sift dry ingredients together. Add nuts; mix.

Add buttermilk to creamed mixture**; do not stir. Add dry ingredients; stir just enough to moisten well. Bake in loaf pan lined with buttered paper. Cool 10 minutes in pans; turn out on wire rack.

*If you freeze bananas, all you have to do to mash them is let them stand in warm water for about 30 minutes, then just cut the stems off and squeeze the thawed banana mush out.

**You can use 1 T plain yogurt, thinned with 2 T milk if you don't keep buttermilk around. My mom also uses a powdered buttermilk.

1 comment:

  1. i made some the other day but made it with almonds. it turned out so well!! i would have never thought the almonds would have been as good as they were.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails