Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Night and day

Sun side of felt-covered tape measure I made for my mom

I'm not a morning person. Mornings are for snuggling closer under the covers and hitting the snooze button ... 5 or 6 times. I think dawn makes a better end to the day than a beginning. But the sad fact is, the world is a morning person's world. And I daydream of being a morning person who gets up and does sun salutations as the sun rises, someone who can bake a loaf of bread before heading to work, a woman who can fit in running 20 miles a week because she's up and out with the birds (especially during hot Texas summers).

But nights are so wonderful, too. Quiet, calm. I've had a whole day to think and let ideas simmer, and I get creative surges while others sleep. I love night runs, glancing in people's (open and lighted and from the sidewalk -- I'm not creepy) windows as they relax before bed. I like tidying up before I go to bed. No matter how tired I am, I tend to force myself to stay awake just for the sake of it, reading or sewing sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning.

Moon side of tape measure.

Every now and then, I resolve to get up earlier. "Just 15 minutes earlier," I say to myself. Or, "I'll just hit snooze 4 times instead of 5." It sometimes lasts a couple of days, sometimes doesn't even stick until morning, but I try. I'm going to try it tomorrow, and see how it goes. I'd love to have quiet time before the world wakes up to work on the sweater I'm knitting, or design a new tea towel, or just read a book (although I've learned that's dangerous and can make me later to work than oversleeping). Besides, you can drink more coffee if you get up earlier.

We'll see how it lasts. Is it possible to become a morning person, or am I out of luck? Are you a night owl or an early bird?

2 comments:

  1. My ideal, natural schedule is bed around 11:30/midnight, and up around 8:30. Alas, I'm supposed to be at work at 8 (left my place on my bike at 7:50 today, so got to work at 8:15 instead). Just this very morning I was resolving to try for a 6:30 get-up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am by nature a night person. I used to do all-nighters, I stay up to party. I used to close down bars and coffee shops. Unfortunately, getting kids to school on time means I have to get my butt out of bed, so I should go to sleep earlier than I should. I have discovered that 3am is one of the lonliest times of night when you are up with a baby, and that getting up between 6:15am-8:30am is painful, but earlier than that is kinda doable. Also, I sleep until 10am on weekends, when I can.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails