Monday, October 26, 2009

Goodbye, garden

After an entire summer of birds and too much sun and more birds and squash grub and ants, and an autumn of rain, I finally, finally got a tomato. ONE TOMATO. It's a cherry variety, at that, so it's just one little mouthful of summery tomato. The weekend was sunny and warm, so I had high hopes for the fat green tomato hanging on one of my vines, but today is cold and rainy and I think my garden dreams are over.




I had big dreams this year (like every year) of homemade salsa and pickled okra and home-canned vegetables, and ended up with a few baby squash and delicious fried squash blossoms in early spring, and my one tomato this weekend. Last year, I managed to have tomatoes all summer and into November, but vicious hungry birds dashed all those hopes this year. I will admit I'm a very laidback (ahem ... lazy) gardener -- I did no soil amendment beyond scratching some compost into the soil when I planted, I often forget to water and I don't do pest treatments or fertilizing like I should (and when I do, I use neem py for pesticide and Garrett juice for fertilizer) -- so I'm sure I'm getting what I deserve. But maybe next year will be different. I can always dream.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, that's too bad. Hey, I germinated some tomato seeds from a Berkeley farm, I can mail you some next spring if you want to try something a little different! The growing conditions here are radically different, of course, so I don't know if they'll take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, thanks! it'd be an interesting experiment, anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails