Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sunday baking



In a perfect world, I'd spend Sunday baking for the week -- muffins and breakfast cookies, bread, maybe even pancakes or waffles. But of course, it's not a perfect world (and I think mine is less perfect than most when it comes to housewifery). But this morning is my favorite morning of the year -- the morning I awake to find Standard Time has given me a whole hour to do with as I please. So I donned my magic apron and pulled out an old cookbook that's just right for the kind of classic I had in mind, and mixed up a dozen blueberry muffins. These baking-powdery muffins are almost like biscuits, and with only a few mods (erm, like using a paring knife to chip lemon zest since my grater is sadly unsuited for the task), they came out perfect for a sunny, cool Sunday morning. Split one open hot from the oven, add butter and enjoy.

Blueberry muffins
from A Taste of Texas; recipe contributed by Mrs. Joseph N. Freeman of Amarillo, TX


1 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour (I used 1/2 white whole wheat and 1/2 white)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
2/3 cup milk (room temp)
1 egg, well beaten
1/4 cup fat (melted butter for me)
1 cup fresh, frozen or well-drained canned blueberries (frozen here)
2 tbs. poppy seed (didn't have any, so didn't use)
Yield: 12 medium muffins

Preaheat oven to 425. Reserve 2 tbs. of the flour to dredge blueberries. Sift together remaining flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add lemon rind; stir.
Add milk to beaten egg; beat together well; add melted fat; stir. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir just enough to mix.
Dredge blueberries in reserved flour. Stir quickly into batter. Fill well-buttered muffin pans two-thirds full.
Sprinkle tops with poppy seeds. Bake. Remove at once from muffin pans.

1 comment:

  1. Had them for breakfast AND lunch today with some left to freeze for your breakfasts next week. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails