Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Finished Beagle sweater


Back at the end of August, my husband and I took a trip down to Austin and Chris picked out a yarn and a pattern for a sweater (my first!), and of course my optimistic outlook was to have it finished by Thanksgiving. Then Christmas. Then just before the end of winter, for the love of God I want to start something new! I'm pleased to announce I finally finished it! Last week! It's been raining and yucky and very busy, so I've just now gotten some photos, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out.




Pattern: Beagle by Norah Gaugan for Berocco (ravelled here)
Yarn: Cascade 220 in 8013 (Walnut Heather), 7 skeins for size medium
Mods: I had to go up a needle size from 5 to 6 and 7 to 8. I don't think I'm a tight knitter, but it's what I had to do to make gauge. I also made the sleeves about 3 inches longer than the pattern called for, trying them on him while in progress until they were as long as he wanted -- 20" sleeves would have looked rather silly on my guy. Also knit the sleeves on circulars so I had one fewer pesky seam to deal with (actually two, since he does have two arms).
Thoughts: There's one really confusing part in the sleeve pattern, where she says to increase one stitch per side, and I couldn't figure out if she meant increase at each end of one row, or increase once on the knit row and once on the purl row. So I just decided it meant the second option, and increased once per row x2 every 3/4". And it made a nice smoothly shaped increase, but I hit 20 inches long before I hit the recommended 22 increases. Whatever. I like the sleeves, they're long enough and they look nice and they're not too tight or too big in weird places.

This was a fun sweater to do, and pretty easy and mindless, despite the small mishap with the collar when I bound it off too tightly the first time and it wouldn't have fit over a goldfish's head. I enjoyed the pattern on the front and back, but I'm waaaaaay over seed/moss stitch after doing the chest part. The 220 is a nice, soft yarn with a great weight, although it does have a tendency to split (or maybe I have a tendency to let my mind wander). But Chris is very pleased with the finished result, and wears it every chance he gets, so yay! for this sweater and the pattern, and I've already picked another one from the same booklet for my dad. For probably Christmas 2013, if I start now...

See the sweater in progress in this Sneak Peek Sunday from September

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That turned out sooo good! :D Its looks so professional!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails