Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Penpal project!



Jen over at Indie Fixx has started a penpal project with the aim of bringing back snail mail. And who doesn't love snail mail? I know I do -- I think the reason I buy things online is so I can get fun mail. I have a dear friend from college I send mail back and forth with a few times a year, and I collect postcards so when friends visit or live in other countries, they always send me something. But I haven't had a proper penpal -- a total stranger -- since about the 4th grade.



I'm excited to introduce one of my new penpals, Nicole of Blue Bicicletta. She's an amazing artist, and from what I've learned from her Etsy shop and blog, I can't wait to get to know her better. Check out her super-awesome Everyday Creative kit and workbook! There's something so fun about exchanging letters and parcels -- the sharing of tangible bits of your life with someone else that isn't possible through our electronic media. Blogs and Twitter and Craftster are super and fun, and definitely feed my addiction to instant gratification, but unless you participate in a swap or purchase something from an independent artist, at the end of the day you have nothing tangible to show for the interaction.



I'm already planning my first letter, and I'll be posting about the project as it progresses. I have two other lovely penpals, Julia and Cathy, whom I can't wait to introduce to you!

If you want to join in, hop over to this post on Indie Fixx and sign up in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. As I mentioned to you, I think I should probably write my friends and family before I go making new penpals. Even as I type this, I think of several people I should write in email and/or in post! But I think it is a great idea and I think you got a good penpal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well hop on over to my blog cause Im the cathy about which you speak . just click on the phonelady on my name and it will take you to my blog and just to let you know your letter is in the mailbox as we speak waiting on the mailman to pick it up !! I so cant wait to get to know you and that wonderfull little bundle waiting to say his welcome to the world !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay, cathy! i checked out your blog yesterday, and i can't wait to get your letter. so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I have collected postcards too! I was very serious about it when I was in my teens, and now, I'm still always on the lookout for a cool card. Thanks for the mention! I can't wait to get your first letter. You should be getting mine soon, if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails