Friday, April 30, 2010

Weekend Recipe: Mama's Apricot Brandy Pound Cake

I mention my grandmothers often here, because both of them have taught me so much in my life. My paternal grandmother is the one whose sewing machine I have, and she died when I was in college. She's the inspiration behind my sewing and the one who had the peach orchard. She was a diabetic, and although she apparently was a great cook, by the time I came around she wasn't cooking much at all (she preferred to sew!).

My maternal grandmother is the one I cook with (hi, Mama!). She says she'd have to start cooking dinner around 2 in the afternoon when I was a small child because I insisted on "helping," so everything took a million times longer than normal. She's the who taught me to bake -- particularly how to make pie crust. She made this pound cake one weekend when I visited a couple of years ago, and I've been meaning to try it out ever since. We had friends over for dinner last night, and with all the gorgeous strawberries I've been buying (I go through at least 4 lbs. a week, no exaggeration), it seemed like the perfect time to try it out and use in strawberry shortcake. It'd also be delicious drizzled with a lemon-powdered sugar icing, or sliced and used in trifle (layered with jam, frozen berries, vanilla custard and whipped cream).

I made a few modifications owing solely to ingredients I had on hand, not at all to improving the recipe. I used a peach liqueur instead of apricot brandy, and I only had about 2 1/8 cups of sugar, so I shorted the amount of sugar in the cake. Also, since I was using peach instead of apricot, I used almond extract instead of orange (um, and because I didn't have orange extract) and I used real rum instead of rum extract. Oh, and I ran out of white flour and had to throw in 1/2 cup of white whole wheat flour, and used 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup yogurt. Miraculously, the cake was still wonderful. It's super fast and easy to mix up, but it does need more than an hour to bake. Here's the original recipe.

Apricot Brandy Pound Cake

1 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 tsp. each: vanilla extract, orange extract, rum extract
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
3 c sifted cake flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup apricot brandy

Heat oven to 325 F. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Add flavoring extracts.

Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with sour cream and brandy. Mix well. Put into greased 3-quart Bundt pan and bake about 1 hour, 15 minutes. Cool in pan on rack.

1 comment:

  1. that sounds really good i might have to make it for the hubby . lol .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails