Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Kitchen Things I Can't Live Without

I haven't been spending much time in the kitchen lately (although I made fried okra at 10 last night -- I'm so stoked about finding local produce), I have a few kitchen things I absolutely adore, and can't imagine doing without.

My avocado green Sunbeam hand mixer, a hand-me-down from my mom. Who cares if the power cord always falls out during use? I've always loved the little "Burst of Power" button -- who doesn't need a burst of power every now and then?


Want one? Get one here (LOVE the aqua color!) or here or here.

These Anchor mixing bowls of my grandmother's. The high sides and heavy glass are perfect for all kinds of kitchen duty.
 

Want some? Get them here or here.


The hand-embroidered day-of-the-week towels my mom gave me for a wedding gift. They're huge and absorbent, and double quite nicely as pastry cloths. Plus, how else would I know what day it is?

Want some? Check out these or these. Or make your own using a pattern or your own design.



Finally, the most important thing in my kitchen these days is my wonderful Italian coffee maker. I have no idea how I'd survive my 6:30 wake-up call without it (yes, I know that's not actually all that early for most people). If you have one of these lovelies, which you can get from Bialetti, I recommend adding warm milk instead of cold if you don't take it black. I'm not sure why, but it tastes so much better. I have two different stovetop coffeemakers -- the one in the picture and a Mukka, which makes a frothy cappuccino.

What kinds of things do you rely on? What do you have at home that makes you smile every time you use it?

5 comments:

  1. This is really cute. I have no permanent kitchen, but in Yorkshire I have a griddle for pancakes and a tagine (pretty much literally the only kitchen things I actually own). But I am really happy I own them! Probably the only thing that gives me any kitchen comfort at all is my huge transnational collection of teapots, which I hope to unite in one place at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to say this but there is really nothing in my kitchen I really have to have LOL !!!I guess that is because I lived without so much for almost a yr while my things were in storage .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my hand beater which I bought for $19. I also love an antique sandwich/biscuit dish that my Mum gave me for my birthday a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bialetti is about one hour from my place in Italy :) ... like you I can't survive without my coffee maker, lately it's been the only thing I use in the kitchen...oh and let's not forget the microwave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice...I like the hand embroidered towel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails