Friday, October 29, 2010

Weekend Recipe: Pumpkin-Artichoke Risotto


I have a confession: I buy some seasonal produce more because I like the idea of eating it rather than actually eating it. This is especially true in the not-summer with squashes, root vegetables (ahem ... turnips) and greens like kale. At a recent trip to the grocery, I bought a cute little baby pumpkin, planning to bake it. But I don't actually really like baked pumpkin -- at least, I don't think I do. At any rate, I wasn't in the mood for plain baked pumpkin, so I started flipping through my cookbooks for a recipe.

This risotto recipe is perfect -- the pumpkin gives it just another layer of velvety creaminess. The artichoke ends up being the dominant flavor. I used a white pumpkin (again, impulse buy), so I imagine a standard orange one is a bit stronger. The recipe's loosely based on one from The Silver Spoon, and is a great stand-alone dish and is wonderful served with fish or a baked sweet potato for extra beta carotene.

Pumpkin-Artichoke Risotto

1 baby pumpkin (about 1.5 cups)
3 artichokes, or one can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
2 cups arborio rice
about 6 cups vegetable broth (you can use chicken, but it is a little too strong for this dish)
salt and pepper
a couple handfuls parmesan cheese

Remove the stem from the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds and fiber. Bake at 350 for about an hour, or until the flesh is cooked.

If you are using fresh artichokes, steam them for 20 minutes or until done. Remove the leaves and the choke, and chop the hearts. Put in a saucepan and add the cooked pumpkin. Mash the vegetables up with a fork and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes.

Stir in the rice. Cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the broth 1/2 a cup at a time. Stir constantly, waiting until the broth is absorbed before adding more. This will take about 30 minutes, maybe more. When all the broth is absorbed, season with salt, pepper and cheese, then serve.

3 comments:

  1. I missed this, but I really want to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also: Do you know any good kale recipes? I need to figure something out for that. I feel like I need to eat kale, but I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't know many good kale recipes -- i posted a swiss chard/gnocchi recipe last year that you could easily make with kale, and i've heard good things about baked kale chips but i don't know if they're homemade or store bought. i'll investigate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails