Friday, September 6, 2013

Hi again

Hi! So, how've you been these last 2 years? I've missed writing here, and I think I'll be back for a little bit. It'll probably be different, since I've added another baby, a job, and an almost-finished first draft of a YA novel to my life, so there's considerably less crafting and exciting cooking going on, but I miss having a space to think and communicate about creating. Although my creative life has shifted from my hands to my head, it's still a huge part of me, and you never know -- one day, I just might finish the sweater I started knitting for my dad two years ago, and go on to make those historical-botanical-print-inspired embroidery patterns I've been dreaming about. I also might start cooking things other than frozen ravioli with pesto (remember when I used to make my own ravioli from scratch?? Insane), so stay tuned!

I've started a freelance indexing business, creating the indexes that come in so handy in the backs of books, like your favorite craft and cookbooks (no, a computer doesn't and can't do that job -- just think about a computer boiling a complex concept down to a word or short phrase, and doing it elegantly!), and also do research and am toying with adding writing to the mix. That "real life" me is over here, just in case you're curious. I won't talk much about it here, though, except in broad terms of work-life balance as a freelancer and parent of two active boys.

The YA novel is, well, a YA novel. Angst, hormones, emotions, loneliness; all the things you find in adult novels, too (and there's one of those on the back burner). I co-tumbl (is that even a thing?) with one of my Forever Young Adult ex-coworkers over here, but I will use this space for longer-than-tumblr-lenght rambles about writing and the writing process and creativity.

Speaking of creativity and writing, this is my current favorite thing ever, and great inspiration for the (daily) stucks -- Sara Zarr's podcast, This Creative Life. She's 1. an amazing YA writer (one of my top faves -- do check out her episodes with some of my other faves, A.S. King and Bennett Madison) and 2. has incredible things to say about writing that also apply generally to creating. Go listen, and maybe when you come back, I'll have something new to say. Or not; I'd really love to hear what you have to say, too. It's like in the Mister Rogers' song I sing to my boys at bedtime:
I'll be back, when the day is new. And I'll have more ideas for you. And you'll have things you want to talk about. I. Will. Too.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! Please don't let it be two more years :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Many people might have the same question you do, so I always respond in the comments, so click the little "subscribe by e-mail" link below to be notified of a response. If you leave your e-mail, I will usually e-mail you an answer to any questions. Of course, you're always welcome to send me an e-mail anytime - meghan {dot} isfive {at} gmail {dot} com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails